Friday, June 30, 2006

Done and Done

Well, c'est tout. Life in Korea is officially over and out. Though usually a sensitive kind of girl, I said goodbye to my kindergarteners dry eyed (unlike D'Arcy). They have, or perhaps I should say this job, has frustrated me to no end and I'm really very happy to be done with the teaching.

As for the living part of it all, I leave with mixed emotions but for the most part I'm happy to be moving on. I have done some great things and life without assignments and school deadlines hanging over my head has been swell. I have met some great people that hopefully I will call my friends for a long time. But in the end prefer my people and things at home. I would never want to stay here for longer than a year.

On the other hand I don't at all regret this experience and I would even recommend it. I feel like I've seen things and done things I never otherwise would have the opportunity to do. I have lived well and saved lots of money over the year while traveling and spending relatively freely.

It's strange to think that life here will go on the same way it always does without D'Arcy and I. The office will be more or less the same, the kids will be the same, teachers will come and go, and we will hardly be missed. It's so easy to get over the departure of a teacher. The kids will love my replacement and though they may remember me, they'll hardly miss me come Thursday of next week. Weird.

I am for the most part all packed up and I guess I should go to bed sooner or later so I can wake up in time to catch the 7am airport shuttle with D'Arcy, my mom, and my dad. We are heading to Hong Kong tomorrow. From there I'm moving on to Bangkok, Hanoi, south through Vietnam, Cambodia, Malaysia, and Singapore before returning to Canada on the 20th of August. Is that even for real?

To all those who have been reading this blog, I hope you have gained some insight into my life in Korea and that you got what you came for. I'll continue updating, though less often, to keep anyone who wants to know informed on the travel adventures.

So long, Korea! It's been a slice.

4 Comments:

At June 30, 2006 12:27 p.m. , Blogger Kiran said...

now make a list of all the reasons you didn't like korea...otherwise, in a year or so, you'll find yourself seriously thinking about going back...

 
At June 30, 2006 1:44 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing about your time in Korea. It's been so much fun to read about it, and definitely eye opening to hear about what it is like to live there. Glad you had such a great time there and that you are leaving with wonderful memories.

Enjoy the rest of your summer travels!

 
At June 30, 2006 3:48 p.m. , Blogger Kiran said...

oh yeah and if you have any questions about your further travels...feel free to ask...hopefully you'll still be posting...

 
At July 02, 2006 2:56 a.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck and stay safe!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home