Thursday, December 08, 2005

I will find my one and only!

I have spent the last two and a half months watching the speed at which my nails grow, with my traditional Korean orange nail to guide me along my path. All the while I had no idea what the tradition was for. But I found out! The story goes that women stain their nails usually in late spring/early fall. If by the first snowfall they still have orange on their nails they will be destined to meet their true love, I guess that season. Let's assume it's this season for my sake and interest's sake. This blog could use a little romance to spice things up, n'est pas?

Check out how much orange is still on my nail. I went to the mountains in mid September and had this done and still I have half an orange nail. I hate my orange nail, really, but have grown quite accustomed to it over these months. Of all colours, why orange? Maybe I'd prefer pink, or a subtle mint green, but orange? Where'd I put my black nail polish?


Today we went on a rather unremarkable field trip, but I did manage to snap this picture of the kids waiting for the elevator. Only when I uploaded my pictures this evening did I realize how hilarious it is. Where in the world did five year old Peter learn that gangsta hand gesture? Even Elliot looks pretty rad in his silver astronaut shoes. And Yoon has his 'possessed by the devil' expression on but I don't know why. I love Yoon and Yoon loves me. He wrote Jessica (heart picture) Yoon the other day. He's even hip with the I heart you bullshit that's been going around.

For the curious out there, here is my straight hair. Looking straight. It looks a little dull when it's dry, sadly. I think I need to find either a really good moisturizer or some glossy something or other. But alas, it is pretty straight.

And finally, here is another shot of one of my favourite 'walk to school' views, now adorned with snow. I think I probably have three views already of this river and cluster of businesses. Deal with it.

Thailand is two weeks and two days away. Today it finally hit me that I'm going there. I remember watching The Amazing Race and perceiving Thailand as a place I'd love to go but probably never would. I once claimed to be a person who likes traveling but I'd hardly traveled. This Korea experience is becoming more irreplaceable and worthwhile as time goes on.

I can't wait to eat fried banana and green curry and coconut things and peanut things, to walk through the Thai markets and buy things that I never knew existed let alone knew I needed. To get a Thai massage involving knees and elbows and sore muscles. To see a live sex show where woman extinguish candles in ways I never knew possible, or something equivalent. To ride an elephant, or at least touch one. To swim! I can't wait to swim, and hopefully snorkel. To partake in whatever Tsunami anniversary events are going on in Bangkok. To celebrate new years eve and my six months in Korea and to arrive back at 'home' three hours before I'm due to return to work. It should be quite a trip.

4 Comments:

At December 08, 2005 10:59 a.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh it's going to be amazing- Thailand will be awesome. There is a big tourist area called KahSaun Road (spelling?!)...never went there but it's supposed to be filled with backpackers and such.

If you get a massage, get one that has oil because the traditional thai massages can hurt sometimes!!!!

Your hair looks good Jess- I am getting mine done this weekend for a christmas party and I'm excited because it's been ages since I had a hairdresser do an updo!!! oooo

Ciao

 
At December 09, 2005 3:11 a.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

When's your staff Christmas Party, Jess?

--Dan

 
At December 09, 2005 4:08 a.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you go to Thailand, you really should only spend a day or two in Bangkok and then catch the one-hour plane ride to Koh Samui in the Gulf of Thailand. The place is paradise. You will never regret it if you follow this advice!

 
At December 09, 2005 4:56 a.m. , Blogger Jessica said...

Thanks Katie!

The party is on the 17th or 18th, though I'm not sure. And it's a potluck, but not veggie only this time.

Thanks for the advice. The plan as it stands now is to stay for three nights in Bangkok and then head to Phuket. Why Phuket? Not sure.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home