Monday, December 12, 2005

Backup

What I will do if I don't get into grad school; an imaginary list prepared while putting off applying to grad school.

- stay another year in Korea (what!?!?)

- Get SCUBA certified, then instructor certified, and teach Scuba diving in Thailand like my coworker did

- join an Everest expedition

- travel for as long as my korea money will take me... and then...

- apply to work at Statistics Canada and reapply to school another time

- sign up for interior decorator courses as per the psychic's prediction at Joanna's sweet sixteen

- pick avocados/dates/olives/oranges on an Israeli kibbutz and have a love affair with a 19 year old German chap

- work on a cruise ship singing Disney songs/selling alcohol/babysitting/lifeguarding

- start online dating as a serious full time career

- get a job in some city, any city, selling coffee/beer/books

- start my own dog walking business in the busy streets of Thornhill, only this time I'll be more aggressive than I was when I was ten and got not one single telephone call

What would you do? If you were me? If you were you?

6 Comments:

At December 12, 2005 11:41 AM , Blogger Mike said...

Stay in Korea another year and pursue scuba diving, and meet a German dude who wants to feed you olives.

 
At December 12, 2005 5:02 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your list made me laugh out loud!

I need to start one now...

 
At December 12, 2005 5:02 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

(it's heidi by the way)

 
At December 12, 2005 6:34 PM , Blogger Jessica said...

There aren't too many German dudes or olives around Korea, but I suspect it can be done!!!

Heidi, you should get yourself a name! :)

 
At December 12, 2005 11:09 PM , Blogger John McCrarey said...

I'd do what makes me happy. If grad school is a means to an end, then yeah. If it is a couple of more years of putting off pursuing your dreams, why wait? All your options sounded like fun, although I'd pass on the German guy (but that's just my preference).

Here's the thing to avoid: regret.
As John Greenleaf Whitter put it:

God pity us both and pity us all
who vainly the dreams of youth recall
for of all the sad words of tongue or pen
the saddest are these:
it might have been.

 
At December 13, 2005 5:59 AM , Blogger Jessica said...

Nahh, I like school, and having a good job in a field I enjoy I suppose you can call a dream. I don't have a real real dream and that's the greatest problem of them all.

If I later have regrets they at least won't be things I wanted to do but didn't. Because there isn't anything in particular that I want to do. The greatest problem of them all.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home