Thursday, May 26, 2005

The latest

I finished my TESL course today! Yay! I did another simulation lesson and it went swell though I was criticized on my board work. Board work, shmoard work. Like they have boards in Korea...

This afternoon I decided to give my good pal Ben at Footprints a call to see what the heck was going on. No, I did not give him a piece of my mind. It is a free service, after all. I just indicated my seriousness and my intent to get going by July. What's the rush, you ask? Well, I plan to go to grad school the September of my return so if I leave in July, my contract will end a year later, giving me two months of traveling time. I want to travel! That's the whole point of all of this.

Ben was no more helpful on the phone than he is over the internet but I think I managed to get my point across. Perhaps he didn't think I was serious? I have no idea.

On the downside, D'Arcy is having surgery on her arm (after a nasty ringette incident) and it has been pushed back from this week to the end of June. The doctors tell her there is a SIX week recovery period! This is no good at all. It will postpone our departure date to mid-August. I think it would be okay (and hopefully she does too) if I leave before her as long as we can get contracts at the same school or at least close to each other in the same city. I hope that doesn't make me a bad friend, but there's nothing for me to do here and she's probably going to stay abroad longer than I am.

I asked Ben if he had any schools that are hiring in July and August and he does, in Ulsan! That's where Blake is! I kind of wanted to be in Seoul because that's where my Korean friend Ji Hee lives, and then my second choice was Pusan for no good reason, but I can handle Ulsan. I think it compares to Hamilton, which isn't exactly a thrill for me. For those in the know, the two possible schools are called ELC Daldong and Samsan. Any word on them?

Anyway, that's the news for now.

The other thing I wanted to write about is of pressing concern. When should I publicize my blog?? I have yet to send out the address to all my friends and those around me who might be interested because things have been too un-Korea-related, but I feel like that point is coming to an end. Hmmm... when should I divulge my dirty little internet geek secret?

Mexico tomorrow!!!

3 Comments:

At May 27, 2005 12:02 a.m. , Blogger Blake said...

Daldong and Samsan (Samson) are sections in the new downtown area of Ulsan. Not a bad place to be at all. It's probably a half hour city bus trip from where I am, near the university (Ulsan Taehakyo). I can get there in 20 minutes on my motorbike if the traffic is reasonable. You'd be very close to the intercity bus terminals and the train station, which means that Busan would be less than an hour away for you. A ticket costs about $5.

Go for it if the contract looks alright.

Are both schools ELC, or just the Daldong one?

 
At May 27, 2005 7:58 a.m. , Blogger Jessica said...

Both are ELC. We will see what happens!!

 
At October 16, 2007 2:51 p.m. , Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home