Monday, February 21, 2005

Spending more money than I have...

Though I hate shopping and I hate spending money I really love to have new things. Today, in an effort to stay out of the house to avoid the cleaning lady, I bought myself two new pairs of jeans and three black sweaters. Three, you exclaim? Well two are identical and were on sale for $9.99 at the GAP. They're made of a combination of various materials including rabbit hair, so they must be good quality. When asked if they were reduced to such a great price because of poor craftmanship, the young cashier confirmed that they are just trying to get rid of their 'holiday' stock. This particular black sweater does indeed come with a little sparkly snap at the back neck so I thought "what the heck" and bought two.

Isn't this interesting?

In other news, I was talking with Rick about our plans for life. The next few years are full of choices and changes. He asked me my plan, and here it is:

1) Go to Korea

2) Apply to various grad schools for an MA in sociology with a specialty in demography*.

3) After one year contract in Korea is finished, spend time (1-2 months) and money (whatever I can afford) travelling.

4) Return to Canada (or whever I decide to go to grad school which could be in the US or overseas but most likely will be Canada) and start MA.

5) Meet future husband.

6) Fall in love.

7) Finish MA and make decision. Either decide that enough school is enough and go off to work in social research or take the PhD path and become a know-it-all professor-to-be.

8) Get married, have kids, blah blah blah, retire, die warm in my bed.

* Why demography? Who knows. It's not like I'm actually that interested in it. But I used to love doing statistics and I wanted an MA that was somewhat practical so it seemed like the most viable option. That's why I'm suffering through this tedious stats class this semester. Then again I want to love what I do so any of this plan is likely to change. I could stay in Korea longer. I could find a long-hidden love of teaching (very unlikely). I could never fall in love, never have children, and never come back to Canada. It's all open. But I'm willing to bet that after my year long taste of adventure I'll come back for a traditional life of work and family. As dull as that might sound...

3 Comments:

At February 21, 2005 9:48 p.m. , Blogger larrykim said...

i don't think it sounds dull at all... it sounds wonderful. i think those are what everyone dreams of....

 
At February 22, 2005 9:26 a.m. , Blogger Unknown said...

I could help you in points 5 and 6. Please call me if you have any problem to satisfy this points :D :D :D :D

I love your blog !

Kisses from Spain. ;)

 
At February 22, 2005 10:48 a.m. , Blogger Jessica said...

It's true that everyone dreams of these things. But maybe they do only because they think that these things are what they are supposed to dream of...

Isomal, thanks for the great comment! I tried to return the favour and look at your blog but, unfortunatly, I can't understand Spanish. :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home