Wednesday, February 23, 2005

A slow week

Nothing too interesting to write about this week. Everyone is either out of town or too busy to hang out, for the most part, so I've been swimming in the mornings and reading throughout the day and night. I saw two Oscar picks on Monday. Ray and Sideways. I liked Ray a lot because of the music and I thought the lead actor guy did a pretty good job. Then again maybe it's easier to play such a character role than it is to play a person like the lead guy in Sideways, which was the other movie I saw on Monday. I liked certain parts of Sideways, like how typical and pathetic everything was; the walk from the motel to the restaurant/bar that passed by a car dealership along the highway, the cheesy restaurant motifs and completely believable greasy faced young waitress, the bad clothes. That realistic part I liked. I hated the two guys, I guess like I was supposed to. But my problem with the movie was that I felt bored and anxious for it to be over. That happens to me, feeling like I want something to end even though it's supposed to be enjoyable. Movies like this one, the opera, certain books, other things not to be mentioned here. It's strange. In this case it could be because I sat through the entire non-theatrical version of Ray directly before.

Today I saw Donnie Darko with Jordana as per her recommendation. It was really cool but I still don't understand even half of it so I'll have to watch the director's commentary or look it up on the web to see what it was all supposed to mean.

At the pool this morning I chatted with an old man who was recently diagnosed with some blood disorder. I am about to graduate and he's slowly dying. He said that I'm moving into centre stage while he shifts into the background.

Finished a book just now called "The Hero's Walk" about an Indian family in a small town and various relational issues within it including a daughter who went to Canada and married a white man only to be killed in a car accident along with her husband leaving their daughter an orphan who has to go to India to live with family she never met. That was quite possibly the longest sentence I've ever written. Another one of those things I was anxious to get through but in the end it was very good.

Oh, by the way, it has now been one month since I started blogging. There have been over 860 visitors in that month. I can't wait to get to Korea so my posts will be more than reports of movies that I've watched. Though you never know; people don't necessarily change when their background changes.

6 Comments:

At February 23, 2005 11:25 p.m. , Blogger larrykim said...

yeah, that reminds me of one of my favorite sayings... wherever you go... there you are...

i am still in houston, but i found a cool cafe with wireless internet. i had to get away from the rest of the group for a while. it is so strange how picky i can be about people i want to hang out with... i guess that's why i am so often alone....

 
At February 23, 2005 11:32 p.m. , Blogger greyguitar said...

I completely concur about Sideways by the way.

I was looking at my watch periodically, but at the same time, really wanted to watch it.

 
At February 23, 2005 11:38 p.m. , Blogger Jessica said...

Larry, I could not relate more to what you just wrote. I am also so easily irriated by stupid little things about people that I often prefer to be alone. It's really problematic. Having fun in Houston? Ride a mechanical bull, we don't have those there.

 
At February 23, 2005 11:40 p.m. , Blogger Jessica said...

Even though it was boring it was still good. Maybe I could just tell that it was well done but I couldn't relate at all to the main ideas. Except the "being part of a foursome when your friend 'hits it off' with one guy leaving you with the other". That is the worst, EVER.

 
At February 24, 2005 12:27 a.m. , Blogger larrykim said...

well, it was a long day, but it was a long night... i just had to get out of there. it's pretty much all work and no play :-(

did you get my tshirt, yet? did you ever get my screen play file?

 
At February 24, 2005 5:18 p.m. , Blogger Jessica said...

I haven't received the shirt yet but I've been eagerly checking the mailbox daily. Maybe it will come tomorrow. And yes, I did get the screenplay. Sorry I didn't respond yet! It was funny indeed. Are you working on the rest of it? What will happen next? Does stalking work out in the end?

Also, what was it you said about "The Curious Incident..."? If you were talking about one of his equations, you're asking the wrong person!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home