Friday, February 25, 2005

Seething mad

Here's the scenario:

My mother and I go out grocery shopping this afternoon after a day of running around. (An important piece of information for this story is that she and my father have started seeing a nutritionist and are trying to lose weight. She has always been trying to lose weight and he is kind of being taken along for the ride though he's a stubborn man who only likes a limited number of healthy foods). Okay, so my mother decides to try making my father a meat loaf (this sounds so suburban...) that she finds in a weight watchers magazine. We buy the necessary ingredients and go home.

Both parents are tired but as per usual my mother is the one in the kitchen while my father plays with his computer. I decide to help my mother out instead of standing firm on my 'equality' ideals. We make the meat loaf, with mostly ground beef but also some vegetarian or some such faux-beef.

Dinner is served and my father piles a whopping serving of meat loaf onto his plate. He bites into it and says "this tastes like shit". He proceeds to be rude about it for the rest of the meal, scraping it off his plate and heating up some leftovers from the other day. I basically wanted to rip his eyes out. What the hell. He could have said "thank you for trying to make something for me that I'll like (since no one else would ever really want meat loaf - EVER) but I don't actually like it" or something along those lines. I don't blame him for not liking it but what a goddam asshole! If you read this dad, which I don't think you have been anyway, I'm sorry but that was the rudest thing I've heard from you.

My mother puts up with so much shit, and so many women do. It really rots my socks (you heard me) when men expect women to serve them this way. My father will say "Mar, will you make me some jell-o?" calling out from the other room. My father will ask my mother to make toast, and she will. And they're not even that bad compared to many households! My mother asked my father last night to make her some toast while she was watching tv in the evening and he gave her a hard time about it, not two hours after he demanded jell-o be made. ROAR!

If I ever end up in a marriage where I am treated with such blatant disrespect I will have failed as an individual with beliefs. I'm all up for helping each other out, but there has to be some courtesy, respect, and equality.

Kudos to Rick for saying something to Dad about it. And to Rick and Carina for eating the meat loaf and pretending to like it. Because of my inability to talk to my father I just fell silent and decided not to join them all at the movies. What a rebellion.

5 Comments:

At February 25, 2005 9:24 p.m. , Blogger larrykim said...

you are such a rebel. james dean would have been proud of you for skipping on the movie...

by the way, i really think there is some other social issue here. i think it is possible that your mom enjoys making toasts and things for your dad. in some strange way, they are acknowledging, i need you and i love you, without saying it... (possibly)

about the meat loaf, yeah, i think that is bad... but, don't you think people sometimes behave out of character? i wonder if anyone is capable of always carrying themselves with love and patience... i think that only happens in books and movies. that's why i love old books and hate reality.

people sometimes hurt others with things they say and do, but usually their true hearts show up again in surprising times and places with surprising frequency if you look for it...

and maybe just maybe it's the depth of someone's heart that really matters in the end, not few incidents of discontent...

 
At February 25, 2005 9:42 p.m. , Blogger Jessica said...

What you said is very wise. Sometimes I complain to my mother about the lack of balance in roles and she is bothered by my complaints not because I'm pointing them out but because she's happy with the way things are.

The problem is that in my eyes it seems like my father is being inconsiderate more often than loving. Maybe he's just private with his love. I don't know.

You're right though... it's a tough call, this is.

It's easy for me to say whatever I want now before I'm in a similar situation myself.

 
At February 26, 2005 1:19 a.m. , Blogger larrykim said...

to be honest, i don't think you will end up in that situation. just a hunch...

 
At February 26, 2005 10:32 a.m. , Blogger Jessica said...

That's right. ;)

 
At February 26, 2005 1:37 p.m. , Blogger Jessica said...

Yes, Wend, just like Stephanie would say.

Let's shake on it. (shake shake shake)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home