Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Sacrificing honour for humour

I've decided to make my dirty secret public because it's good for a laugh and you better all damn well appreciate it.

It all started when out of curiosity I was searching a primarily North American dating website in their 'other country' section to see what options I might have in Korea. After finding nothing there I began perusing the market in my area just for kicks. [Comment about internet dating: I had a long term relationship with a guy that I met on the internet (though he lived in my neighbourhood and I knew his brother so maybe it doesn't count) and after that I told myself the situation was too contrived and I wouldn't do it again. But what does contrived mean? I don't think that anymore, but I also don't really intend to begin a relationship that way either, until I get desperate.]

On with the story, I saw a guy on the site with a seemingly interesting profile so on a whim I sent him this email:

Hi there,
I was perusing the profiles and your smile caught my eye. I once met a guy who never smiled. When questioned he replied that his face didn't go that way. Can you believe it?
J.

I don't know what I expected to come of that but I wasn't surprised when he didn't respond right away. Then yesterday he did:

Hi Jessicca!
Thank you so much for your note - and for the record I smile a lot. In fact a lot of people tell me I smile too much! I would love to get to know more about you but just so you know, I recently started seeing someone so I am not looking for a romantic connection. However, being relatively new to Toronto I am always looking to make new friends so if you are interested in that please drop me a line.
Have a great week,
Jeff

No big deal, I can handle that. Should I write back? I did.

Hello, hello,
More about me: Well, I grew up in Montreal too and now live inToronto. DDO to Thornhill specifically, but I was only ten when we made the move. (I think my brother Brian had a friend named ... ring a bell?) I'm graduating from McMaster U this year with a degree in Sociology, at which point I'm packing up a year's worth of things and heading off to South Korea to teach English, and to stand out as a six foot tall foreigner in a country of very small people. Upon my return I intend to do the grad school thing with a focus on demography.

So, although your profile was one of the few ones that ever catch my eye, it's a good thing that you're dating someone so we don't fall for each other right when I'm about to leave the country. :) Anyway, the most I know about sailing is that it's fun to sit on the tip of a laser at Camp B'nai Brith of Ottawa. I'm a theatre, music, swimming, and travelling kind of girl.

Have a good Tuesday,
Jessica

His response:

NO WAYYYY! IS YOUR BROTHER NAMED BRIAN?

Mine:

Yup.

His:

We used to babysit you. We used to hang out at your house, and play basket ball and torture Corky and Blacky while your parents were out. Too funny - good memories!

Shit.

As it turns out I actually had a crush on him when I was 8 and he was 12. I find that pretty interesting that I would be attracted to the same guy 15 years later...

3 Comments:

At February 16, 2005 4:07 p.m. , Blogger Jessica said...

Jord, you're giving me way too much credit. This story happens to be a particularly good one though, I must admit. :)

That is really funny Margie. I remember Sources road (as nous Anglais refer to it) and the wonderful fair that graced the Places des Sources mall parking lot once a year. Ahhh the memories. It's such a small world; maybe I'll see ya in Korea. ;)

 
At February 16, 2005 7:00 p.m. , Blogger larrykim said...

what's so embarrassing about that? that's nothing... well, it is something, but no big deal.

i tell you what... you are one boy crazy gal.. ha!

well, actually that is why i stopped talking to girls all together because it seems no matter what i do, i always end up making a fool of myself... which reminds me, i need to stop talking... bye!

 
At February 16, 2005 11:53 p.m. , Blogger Jessica said...

I wouldn't call it boy crazy... How about love starved? He he. More like bored.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home