Monday, February 14, 2005

My first kiss

In honour of Valentine's Day I will reminisce about an important event in every person's life: my first kiss.

It was the summer of '98 between grades 9 and 10, which means I was 15 years old. I was at summer camp having the best time of all the years I had spent there, both before and after that year. I had a crush on a boy back at home named Tom but upon revealing my secret to him he had decided that we should remain just 'friends'. Ouch.

So at camp I met this boy named Allan who was a year older than me. During the last week of camp we hung out quite a bit, I think because we were on the same colour war team. I think we might have sunk a canoe together in the waterfront regatta. One evening our two age levels took a trip to see the Ottawa Linx' baseball team play, and on the bus ride back to camp Allan and I sat together and held hands. (Since then I often precede relationships and things with hand holding before even vocalizing attraction. I wonder if that's common with most people.) I was nervous that he'd kiss me at the end of the bus ride but thankfully it didn't happen.

The next night colour war ended. We watched the closing ceremonies and then instead of returning to our respective cabins we walked over to the dance stage and sat down. Just as he was about to kiss me I blurted out that I hadn't done this before. I was a loser. Note the 'was'. Then it happened. I remember hearing the voices of everyone around filled with excitement of the night's event. I could hear my counsellor telling everyone to return to their bunks. I remember thinking, this is it?? I can remember the feeling of his slimy tongue. I returned to my cabin and looked in the mirror, perhaps expecting something to be different.

My friends asked me if he was a good kisser, but I had no idea how to tell. Here's the trick they taught me that I have incorporated into my judgement key: If you feel a circle of film around your face, he slobbered too much.

We made out for the next few days of camp and then never talked to each other again. Ahh, the simplicity of early romance.

5 Comments:

At February 14, 2005 10:39 p.m. , Blogger larrykim said...

man, that sounds great... and now i am convinced you are not a loser...

 
At February 14, 2005 10:57 p.m. , Blogger Blake said...

I like my first kisses better (or not). I was drunk at a party and it started with my buddy's ex-gf. Nothing to brag about!

Why did I just tell you that?

 
At February 14, 2005 11:02 p.m. , Blogger Jessica said...

Nah, it wasn't so great. What was great was drunk kisses this summer in a cockroach infested Israel alleyway with hot Stefan from Denmark. Stefan Hansen is his name.. Stefan, if you come across this, hello.

And Blake, that's nothing compared to my friend's first kiss story, who made out with a guy who was her friend's current boyfriend with people around who knew the couple... Confusingly described but you get the picture.

 
At February 14, 2005 11:35 p.m. , Blogger larrykim said...

actually, i was being sarcastic... ha!

hey, how come i am not getting any comments? what's up with that?

 
At February 15, 2005 10:06 a.m. , Blogger Jessica said...

Right... sarcasm... I know all about it.

How come no comments? Because you are the king of commenting and you don't comment on your own blog.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home