Tuesday, February 08, 2005

Could things go any slower?

This is the point where one feels like time has stopped. There's a chronology that I have uncovered in my time as a student. Here it is:

First year: You feel happy to be a part of this new system. You think your friends are the greatest. You relish your new found freedom and independence. You take up drinking.

Second year: You break up with your residence boyfriend/girlfriend and realize that student house living isn't as great as you imagined. You begin to understand the difference between friends and those you can live with. You wonder when school got hard.

Third year: You are forced to come to some kind of decision regarding what you want to do upon graduation because you realize time is a tickin'. Your friends drop like flies from the 'undecided' camp, abandoning you in uncertainty. You come up with some uninspired plan that will tide you over for a while. You find out who you are. You start to get restless in the small town you chose to go to school in.

Fourth year: You feel too big for the chairs (in the I'm so old kind of way), and talk amongst your friends as if you've been around campus for ages. "When I was in first year we had to walk ten kilometeres to get to the cafeteria". You start having fun and going out. You exercise and study. You make friends with profs. You make rash decisions to go to Korea, putting aside your plan from third year.

Fourth year, second semester: You feel like time has stopped as you count the months, and days, and hours until you walk across the stage to receive your diploma . You stop exercising and eat whatever passes by. You don't feel like being friendly to the geeks in band 'cause you're leaving anyway. You spend your time blogging like a geek in band.

Okay, so maybe it's not completely accurate for everyone, but wow, does it every apply to me! Amazing! I'm good.

4 Comments:

At February 08, 2005 11:38 a.m. , Blogger larrykim said...

hmm.. this is one of those blogs that are hard to comment. i have nothing to say. i know you may find this hard to believe, but nothing... i mean nothing... really.

i skipped work today. i am still in be bed and it is almost eleven. i just am tired of working. i think i just am gonna stop going into work from now...

 
At February 08, 2005 1:28 p.m. , Blogger Jessica said...

well sooner or later you can live off your beach volleyball complex, so skipping work isn't so risky. Right? I'm at school. Maybe I should have skipped today.

 
At February 09, 2005 10:42 a.m. , Blogger Blake said...

Haha, that sounds exactly right!

I think that I was better friends with some of my profs than with my normal friends.

It says something when you'd rather drink wine and discuss a thesis that has nothing to do with any of your courses with a favorite prof then hang out with your friends...

 
At February 09, 2005 11:03 a.m. , Blogger Jessica said...

I don't know if I'd go THAT far... drinking with my prof? Ha.

The prof that I TA for took we TA's out for drinks in the middle of the day at the end of last semester. It was mucho awkward.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home