Sunday, February 06, 2005

Three intermissions!

Well, this afternoon was a long haul, and yes, my mom did fall asleep but only for the first of four acts so it wasn't terrible. Our seats were really great. Row C more or less in the center.

Did I enjoy it? Did I enjoy it? Did I enjoy it? It was a good opera. What do I know about operas? Not much. I know that I don't love the opera. The two couples sitting behind us flipped through the advertisement for next years season and discussed which operas they would go and see. They sounded pathetic and showy. If there's something I don't like it is showiness. Or at least rich snobbiness. Snobbery, if you like. The opera is full of that. Worse than the symphony and much worse than the theatre. Much much much worse than musical theatre. We won't even get into sporting events... I like a balance, I guess.

The sets were beautiful. Falling snow was particularly effective. The voices were impressive but the style is not for me. Italian, lacking in melody, very opera-y. The story line was incredibly simple; the characters lacking depth. That is probably characteristic of operas in general.

It was interesting to find the links between Rent and La Boheme, and there were many. One melody made it into Rent - Musetta's waltz.

We left the theatre and were among the many that passed by the homeless beggar, giving nothing, after dropping serious cash on a three hour performance that we only enjoyed to a point.


2 Comments:

At February 06, 2005 10:26 p.m. , Blogger larrykim said...

well, homeless guy probably would have spent his money on drugs or whiskey anyways.

there is this one homeless guy that used sit in front of this cafe i used to play my guitar. i used to just hand him all of my tip, but then i found out that he actually had a home, he just didn't like bathing. anyway, how foolish i felt for dropping all my quarters in his coffee cup. who knew he was just sitting their drinking coffee... oh well...

 
At February 06, 2005 10:49 p.m. , Blogger Jessica said...

He was smart to sit in front of a cafe, then, so when you messed up his coffee with dirty money he could just run right in and buy himself another.

I guess there are resources out there for homeless people that they could use so we shouldn't feel compelled to give them money. Then again maybe the resources aren't good enough. Once a friend and I tried to give our theatre tickets to a beggar at intermission because we wanted to get out of there. She didn't take us up on the offer. No kidding. Imagine what the people sitting next to her would think.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home