Sunday, February 06, 2005

La Boheme

At 2:00 I am heading downtown with my mamma to see La Boheme. To prepare, I blasted my Rent soundtrack on the drive home and sang along at the top of my lungs. The fog was so thick along the road, but Rent kept me safe and sound. ;)

When I was a kid I had friends who always wanted to make up dances. Ugh, I hated making up dances. I took ballet when I was a toddler and hated it. I took jazz lessons in kindergarten and thought they were treating us like miniature sex objects. I was forced to dance on the searing hot outdoor dance stage and couldn't wait for it to end. I even, for some reason, took dance lessons again in grade five. It was never very enjoyable and I never did well.

The only time I did slightly enjoy this kind of thing was when musical numbers were involved. I remember making up chorography to "Light My Candle", a really great musical dialogue from Rent. We did a dance number to another song from the same musical at camp and that I thoroughly enjoyed.

I'm not really going anywhere with this post - just reminiscing about the good ol' days.

The second time I really actually enjoyed dancing was when Wendy and I went to Cuba two years ago. Those Cuban men certainly know a thing or two. I never had so much fun twirling and shakin' my hips. Never before and never again.

Back to today, I'm seeing La Boheme which, in case you didn't know, was the inspiration for Rent. My mom got supreme-o seats apparently, which will be much better than my last opera experience when I saw Turandot from the very last seat on the third balcony. With binoculars I could hardly make out the figures on stage. Hopefully my mom can stay awake this time. Though even a play with full frontal male nudity wasn't enough to keep those heavy lids from falling. (Of course she woke up for all the nude bits). Hehe.

By the way, Wendy, sorry but my book collection remains in my possession.

1 Comments:

At February 06, 2005 7:47 p.m. , Blogger Jessica said...

I sent you an email the other day. Did you get it??

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home