Monday, February 07, 2005

An investigation

Because of my last post and larry's subsequent response, I decided to do an investigation to see a) what the average height is in Korea, and b) what the average height is in Canada to draw conclusions regarding how much of a sore thumb I will stick out as.

Here are the results:

According to a 2001 Sports Indicators of Korea published by Korea Sport Science Institute, the average height of a modern Korean, ages 25-29, is 173.0 centimeters for men and 160.9 centimeters for women. That translates to an average height of 5'2'' for women and 5'6'' for men.

Some random website posted Canadian results as such: Average height of women (Canadian) is 163 centimeters, or 5 feet 4 inches. Average height of men (Canadian) is 178 centimeters, or 5 feet 10 inches.

Korean to Canadian average for women is, then: 5'2'' to 5'4''
Korean to Canadian average for men is, then: 5'6'' to 5'10''

It's surprising that there is a four inch difference between men and a two inch difference between women. Hmmm...

Here in Canada I am taller than probably 9.5/10ths of the other women I encounter. I am probably taller than 7.5/10ths of the men I encounter. A comment is made about my height by approximately 75% of the people I meet for the first time.

Here is an equation to calculate the sore thumbiness that I will experience in Korea:

6 inches taller than the average male + curly hair ( - very dark, almost black hair and eyes) + English foreigner status = huge sore thumb.

I'll thank my lucky stars I don't have blonde hair and huge breasts. Phewf.

8 Comments:

At February 07, 2005 8:28 p.m. , Blogger Jessica said...

What's made your thumb sore?

I don't put any time into my blog... are you worried about me?

And finally, you don't know larry?!?! You're missing out.

PS: Too bad you can't make my birthday party. It's gonna be delicious.

 
At February 07, 2005 8:43 p.m. , Blogger larrykim said...

ha! that's great. don't worry though, they have tvs in korea, so they probably have seen other giants before... ha

 
At February 07, 2005 9:11 p.m. , Blogger larrykim said...

who is darcy?

 
At February 07, 2005 11:57 p.m. , Blogger Jessica said...

I am glad you are all getting nicely acquainted. I would like to create a community-like environment here in blog land for you all to feel able to express yourselves and communicate openly with one another. And share in the joy of the wonderfulness of Jessica.

 
At February 09, 2005 1:34 a.m. , Blogger Blake said...

173cm is 5'8"; not 5'6". ;)

Now you know.

 
At February 09, 2005 11:07 a.m. , Blogger Jessica said...

I wanted to believe you Blake, but I just checked two conversion sites and the most I've come to is 5'6" and three quarters.

Very curious.

 
At February 10, 2005 6:48 p.m. , Blogger Blake said...

173 cm = 5.676 feet

0.676 feet = 8.112 inches

therefore, 173 cm = 5'8"

2.5 cm is approx. 1 inch. 2 inches is approx. 5 cm. You figured out that 5'10" is 178 cm. Subtract 2 inches/5 cm from that and you end up with 173 cm.

:)

 
At February 11, 2005 1:10 a.m. , Blogger Jessica said...

I can handle being wrong...

boo hoo. It would be more interesting if the average height was 5'6". Maybe I'll conduct my own study upon arrival.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home