Sunday, June 18, 2006

Row, row, row

From disappointed in people and conversation to an honest goodbye with a guy who meant something since one year ago when we met. Meant something but not enough to make it back home, as (sadly) it will be for most relationships forged here. There's no need pretending. "So long, partner," I said. "Ciao, chica," he said. We laughed and bid each other goodbye. I felt sad.

It's been an interesting day.

White water rafting somewhere two hours away was beautiful but, as warned, hardly white watered. My arms are sunburnt. We swam in the Kang river and flipped our raft to use it as a water slide. Our guide was a cute 21 year old student who spoke pretty good English. Other rafts loved us and treated us like celebrities as usual. We were a group of five. We came from different countries but bridged the gap with Fresh Prince of Bel Air rapping. We slept on paper thin yos (floor mattresses commonly used in Korea)and my body hurt no matter how much I turned. I recommend the rafting to anyone looking for some fun outdoors.

My limbs and hands have been falling asleep on me too much lately.

About the disappointment in people: Far too often, it seems, I meet people who might as well be talking to their own big toe. Three hours later they couldn't tell a single thing about me but I could tell you the path of their lives for the last five years. I shouldn't have to feel like I'm forcing in a story of myself to balance things out. How do these people make it this far without realizing how terrible that is? I can't figure it out. I'm interested in the lives of others but I expect a balance of interest in me, as should we all.

There I go feeling disappointed again just when I was preoccupied with my falling asleep limbs and hands.

I miss my people. People, you know who you are.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home