Monday, April 10, 2006

A new series

I just woke up from a dream that I arrived home. It was kind of an anticlimactic return but I looked around the city and appreciated the lack of looming apartment buildings. I also forgot my computer in Korea and pissed my parents off because of it. Last week I had my first 'returning home dream'. Back around month two and three I'd have dreams that I was home but only for a short visit. I'd be dropping off some gifts, or stopping by for dinner, and I'd hope my mom wouldn't mind driving me back to the airport in an hour or so. Those were the worst.

Aside from the dreams, I'm feeling more settled again in my Korea life. The weather has been great (aside from yellow dust and rain) and I'm out and doing things once again. It was a long, shut in winter. Also, the dust has settled from graduate school acceptances and no more information will be coming for a while that will distract me. So I can go ahead and forget about it for a while. I have a few concerns about returning to academic life after this year but I'll deal with that later.

For those interested in what Korea does to a gal, I weighed myself for the first time since I've arrived here and found that I'd lost eight pounds since July. Maybe I can lose eight more, or ten, by July.

On Saturday I spent the entire day in the salon redoing my magic straight hair style after four months. I went to Coex mall this time where they are familiar with foreign hair. Too bad they're not familiar with my kind of curly hair, and they still went too light on the hard-core chemicals so they had to repeat the process, ending up finishing the process after five and a half hours. I detest the hair salon experience. Detest!!! My threshold for hairdresser chit chat ends after about twenty to thirty minutes. What do I do with the other five hours?

So a few weeks ago I showed you what kind of lunches I'd been complaining about for the last nine months. Well, you should see what I eat for dinner. I can't really complain because dinner is up to me, but I'm as lazy as it gets when it comes to cooking (and cleaning, and most things domestic). I just can't get into it. Let's see what I ate for dinner on Monday.

WLast night after the gym, D'Arcy, Sara, and I (do I have any other friends? Not really...) went to a little sandwich place in Suji that we hadn't been to in a while. I had the salmon bagel and soup set. It hardly had any salmon and if there was cream cheese it was not lathered on thick like it ought to be. You can buy Great Canadian Bagels in Itaewon and real smoked salmon in the Ori Carrefour. And Philadelphia cream cheese anywhere. Maybe I'll make myself a REAL bagel in honour of... passover.

3 Comments:

At April 11, 2006 8:01 a.m. , Blogger Blake said...

Hey, you're only supposed to eat unleavened bread at Passover? Just what the heck do you think you're doing?

 
At April 11, 2006 8:36 a.m. , Blogger Jessica said...

You think I can find any unleavened bread in Korea?

Anyway, I love bread and can't spare a day.

 
At April 13, 2006 8:17 a.m. , Blogger Blake said...

Just eat crackers!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home