Thursday, February 09, 2006

I just can't wait

These days I'm really missing one particular thing about home. Maybe the passage of time has skewed my memory of this thing at home, but I no, it hasn't.

I miss bathrooms!! Yes, good ol' bathrooms. Why, you ask? Well, Korean bathrooms are the worst. The worst ever!!

Let's start with the bathroom in my apartment. I can stretch my arms across it and touch all four walls without changing my footing. I think. I just double checked and I can - without even full arm extension. This isn't a huge problem, considering the limited activities that take place in this particular room. What really bothers me is that first of all, my shower head, which is attached to my sink faucet (and switches with only the push of a button) leaks. I can never trust that when I'm brushing my teeth my jeans will stay dry. Second of all, and worst of all, is the water temperature of my shower. When I turn it on it is scalding hot for about thirty seconds so I must watch myself or I'll get scorched. Soon the water gets to a manageable temperature and it is at this point that I must jump in and go all out, because I only have one or so minutes to enjoy the warm water before it loses all sign of heating. I repeat this process numerous times until all showering duties are completed. I hate it.

If you think this is bad, you should see public bathrooms! Women's bathroom often smell like an ashtray because of the social stigma attached to them smoking women (those sluts). You're lucky if there is any toilet paper so if I haven't developed the habit of carrying my own around with me by now then I'm a damn fool. If there is any soap, it's usually a nasty, filmy bar that just doesn't sit well with me, and there's never a decent hand drying mechanism. Oh, how can I forget that there's no heating in these bathrooms, so not only do you freeze your buns on the seat, but there's no heated water and there's nothing more uncomfortable than ice-cold hands in an ice cold bathroom with no hand towels or anything.

I dream of bathrooms as high class as Tim Horton's... Four months and eighteen days to go.

4 Comments:

At February 09, 2006 11:07 a.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rick and I sent your birthday package yesterday. Does that cheer you up? It's going purolator, they said it would be there in 3-6 business days. So, not in time for your birthday, but close!

 
At February 09, 2006 12:51 p.m. , Blogger Kiran said...

funny, i thought long and hard about this when i was in korea. i eventually realized that although in north america people will carpet their bathrooms, hang up photos, put in some candles or magazines, a little rug, scented oils blah blah blah, we look at the bathroom as a part of our house...but in korea, it's looked at as a separate place, you do your stuff, get out, shut the door and pretend the room doesn't exist, you'll notice koreans never leave the bathroom door open...there's always a step down as you enter and it's cold and dank and crappy...everywhere...

read this article...
http://eng.suwon.ne.kr/sub_frame.asp?parent_id=sub_05_10&page_id=sub_05_10&root_id=sub_main5

it's koreans talking about 'restroom culture'...
weird...

 
At February 20, 2006 9:36 a.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I was your age(sigh) DECADES ago!!!, I was a Peace Corps volunteer in Korea and the thing we learned VERY quickly is that the toilets suck and ALWAYS, ALWAYS carry your own toliet paper.

 
At March 31, 2010 5:01 a.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a Helpful Addition!
Lather Cloths

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home