Wednesday, January 11, 2006

It's show time

Pretty much every school like mine is currently in a frenzy preparing for their winter festival, otherwise known as the drama production timed perfectly to allow for gossip to spread and enrollment to occur before the new school year begins in March. Last year the production at our school was apparently a huge bust and a number of children quit the school. The reputation of a school matters more here, it seems, than the quality of the education. The things people care about are pretty ridiculous.

As far as I know, this drama production consists of twenty-minute long plays for each class that allows each six year old (or younger) student to speak for two minutes. We teachers were just informed of this festival last week and have since been scrambling to select an appriate play for our classes.

Is there such a thing as an appropriate play for six year olds to perform?

This just might be the one and only time I'm thankful to have the five year olds. We do not need to do a play, and are instead reciting a story and singing a few songs. Phewf.

To add to everyone's strife is the news that Open Class season is coming up. Again I am off the hook, but in two week's time almost everyone else will have to go through the whole parent observation class that I got over with in December. And I've heard that kids don't always behave as angelically as mine did. Suckers!

Unrelated to school, my fever is gone but I have a lingering sore throat so I decided to pop into the pharmacy to see what they had for me. Reason number 7 that I love Korea: I got two packages of pills (what they are, I don't know) for four bucks and never had to step into the doctor's office. I'm scared of the doctor's here - you never know what might happen to you! Hopefully whatever it is I got will do the trick.

3 Comments:

At January 12, 2006 9:00 a.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

6 year old koreans required to speak english for 2 minutes? That's absurd. Our plays are pretty rediculous too...but at least they're only 5-10 minutes. Hope your voice gets better Jess.

--Dan

 
At January 12, 2006 5:58 p.m. , Blogger Jessica said...

Two minutes in total, at least it is. Thanks, Danito. You coming to the fundraiser?

 
At January 13, 2006 9:28 a.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

What fundraiser?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home