Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Next destination confirmed

Why not spend the Chinese New Year in China?

D'Arcy and I have a reservation to fly from Korea to Beijing, China on the morning of Saturday January 28th returning the evening of Monday the 30th. Nothing like a long weekend in China, n'est pas?

It's only a two hour flight but a rather pricey one at over five hundred bones after visa fees and taxes are accounted for. The money will mean nothing one day so I don't bat an eyelash at the thought of spending that much on a weekend. If only the damn lunar calendar didn't screw me over so much this year. A three day holiday instead of a five day one bites the dust.

So who's got recommendations for things to see and do in Beijing?

In other news the exchange rate is seriously in my favour right now so I sent home 3.5 million won and got $4,100.00 CAD in return. And all the while I've been thinking in terms of one to a thousand. That's an 'extra' six hundred bucks in my pocket.

"Hey, can you lend me a grand for that bottle of water?"

Am I a show off or what? Besides all the teaching and concrete, you should really come to Korea.

3 Comments:

At January 11, 2006 9:58 p.m. , Blogger Kiran said...

far east youth hostel beijing...just five minutes walk from tianamen....

and don't miss hiking the great wall between jinshanling and simatai....

 
At January 12, 2006 10:41 a.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would advise you against going to China during Chinese New Year. Everything is closed from the eve to the second day(earliest).

Even in countries like Taiwan, Hongkong and Singapore where there are large populations of Chinese people, everything comes to a standstill. The city becomes a dead town.

I'm Chinese by the way.

 
At January 12, 2006 5:55 p.m. , Blogger Jessica said...

Thanks for the advice, Kiran.

Ian, that could be a real problem. Would the things I'd be interested in seeing be inaccessible, do you think? Like the great wall, forbidden city, and tiannamen square, for example? I tried to find out this information before but only casually. I guess it's worth looking into more before heading over there... :) Thanks.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home