Sunday, November 06, 2005

My First Sauna Experience Part 2

If you haven't read the first part of this story I suggest you scroll down first to catch yourself up.
We left off at the part where I was becoming more comfortable in my public nakedness and was wandering around with D'Arcy checking out the large spa area. We crossed an overhead bridge, much like a stage for all those below in my opinion, and arrived in the massage services area. Here there were four beds lined up in a row with four naked women lying on them receiving either an exfoliation treatment or a massage. Working on them were four older women, also naked. I had heard about this exfoliation process where you get scrubbed down until all your dead skin is peeled right off; skin you didn't even realize was dead. This is what I had been waiting for, though I wasn't at all sure I would ever actually come to do it.

D'Arcy 'let' me go first so when a bed became free I was told to lie down on my back. There I was, lying totally naked on this public bed, and my 'scrubber' woman said she'd be back in five minutes. Where'd she go, for a smoke? Honestly! When she finally returned she doused with with a bucket or two of warm water, put on some gloves reminiscent of sandpaper, and began her work. She left no patch of skin untouched, and I mean no patch. I wonder if anyone's ever touched me quite so thoroughly.

What was truly amazing was the amount of dead skin that was coming off me. I couldn't believe it. It was remarkably easy to relax in this highly foreign environment, despite her chuckle over my rear end. Frankly it's been getting a lot of compliments these days so I don't know what was so funny. My mother will not appreciate this post. Another fascinating thing was the woman receiving a massage on the table beside me. Her (naked, of course) masseuse was straddling her, standing on her, kneeling on her; the works. Like nothing I've ever seen before.

I came out of the spa feeling exhilerated, liberated, accomplished even. It felt wonderful to go in with a racing heart and a mind full of insecurities and to come out clean and more confident about my self and my body than I have been in a long time. I was loving Busan.

Here we are leaving the spa. There's my new green tshirt with Hangeul on it, too.



We had more fun that night, if more fun was even possible, but I'll save that for tomorrow. Next up this week: A field trip to the fire station!

9 Comments:

At November 06, 2005 6:26 p.m. , Blogger Kiran said...

was it the heoshimcheong sauna in busan?

 
At November 06, 2005 6:27 p.m. , Blogger Kiran said...

wait, it must've been...yes, that was where i had my first sauna experience too...did you guys have a champagne pool on your side...that was my favourite...bathing naked in champagne...wild!

 
At November 07, 2005 5:04 a.m. , Blogger Jessica said...

Yippy!! Yes, it was that one, Kiran. Though there was no champagne pool in the woman's section! Damn!!

 
At November 07, 2005 5:04 a.m. , Blogger Jessica said...

By the way, did you get an exfoliation scrub? I wonder if the men scrub the men naked too.

 
At November 07, 2005 12:01 p.m. , Blogger Kiran said...

i never had an exfoliation scrub...the 40 grand was a bit pricey for me...they had this yellow sand pool that is supposed to have the same effect, it bubbles and grinds your skin with yellow mud...i'm sure it's to a much lesser extent though...

and yes, old ajeoshis scrub the men...

in addition to the champagne pool, we also had a black tea pool, a green tea pool, a jasmine tea pool and a ginseg tea pool and an outdoor area where you could sit naked under the sky as birds soared above...

i had to down six beers at the family mart-uh across the street before i had the nerve to go in ;)

and of all places to run into a foreigner...yep...and then all the little kids with inner tubes and goggles swimming around me...a little bit awkward?

 
At November 12, 2005 1:59 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I went to a similar bathing house in Syria....only I wimped out and couldn't get naked! hahaha I got scared when I saw this woman who had boobs that looked like big saggy sausages! hahaha

 
At November 14, 2005 7:33 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

No pics of you getting the exfoliation scrub?!?! Disappointed.

 
At November 14, 2009 2:21 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!

 
At July 16, 2012 1:19 p.m. , Anonymous Neil Dalby said...

It feels so good to have a massage after a sauna bath. Massage relieves muscle tension and stiffness, and promotes faster healing of strained muscles and sprained ligaments, as it helps reduce blood pressure. By the way, you look good on your new green shirt, Jessica. :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home