Thursday, March 31, 2005

The TESL interview

I arrived punctually at 11:00am. The school is in run-down looking old house, one block West of Bathurst and Bloor on Markham St. I climbed up a short staircase with very low ceilings and entered the lobby which seemed very warm and welcoming; wood floors, pictures and signs all over the walls, couches and coffee, that kind of thing. Following the sign pointing towards the office, I introduced myself to some woman who was there and who gave me a quick ‘test’ to fill out.

The test kind of freaked me out because I didn’t read the instructions properly... oops! It said that ‘there are five errors in the following six questions. Correct them and explain the problem’. I interpreted that to mean that there were five errors in each of the six questions so I was searching for errors that didn’t exist. I figured it out quickly though, ‘cause I’m swift like that. Right. The sentences were things like ‘In Japan, if a woman wore shoes and a suit, she will be breaking the rules’. The problems were mostly a confusion of tenses and things. My essay grading really prepared me for this intense editing.

Then I had to write a paragraph about a positive or negative experience that I have had when learning a second language. Perhaps I should have chosen a positive experience but I didn’t. Instead I wrote about how much it sucked to learn Hebrew after school as a kid since all we would be taught was how to read and not how to understand or communicate effectively.

After I handed in my test, Tim came out to interview me. First of all, it’s really odd that I would have to be interviewed for a school like this where I am a paying customer. The TESL certificate course they offer is not so long or anything. I wonder why they need to interview, or if they turn anyone down. I guess they just wanted to see if I have a hope in passing, but they would get their money regardless, so I don’t get it.

Tim asked a number of questions like:

How important is it to teach perfectly correct grammar (like fewer instead of less)?

What kinds of language issues did you run into while traveling?

How would you conduct a class on traveling and what kinds of activities would you do in your classroom?

What kinds of teachers do you find the most effective?

As a swimming instructor, what methods worked the best for teaching skills?

My answers were all stellar. He said I used all the right catch phrases; demonstration, practice, manageable chunks, empathy, balance… blah blah blah.

So he announced with mild gusto that I am accepted into the program. He shook my hand.

I said that I had a few questions for him. I wanted to know if he had any alumni who are now working in South Korea that I could contact. I wanted to know what type of students take this class. I basically want to know if this course will be worthwhile for me, and though I don’t need it to be a soju-guzzling idiot English teacher like the rest of them, I do think that my teaching skills will benefit. I realize that the effectiveness of these English programs in Korea are often less than amazing, but I’d like to try to do a decent job while I’m there. Check out this guy’s blog if you’re interested in the reputation of English teachers over there.

I’m excited about the prospect of spending some time in the city before I take off. The city in the summer is my favourite. It’s alive and warm and exciting. Yee haw.

Oh, by the way, Tim has an extra long pinky fingernail. What do you think, drugs or guitar?

4 Comments:

At April 03, 2005 3:41 a.m. , Blogger Blake said...

Weird that they would go though all the trouble of "testing" you before "letting" you into a program that you're willing to pay for.

Maybe they have some sort of illusion that they will be able to prevent all of the crazies from getting ESL jobs.

Good luck to them.

Unless you're teaching adults (and you probably won't be) you really don't have to know much about English grammar.

In fact, one of my Korean co-teachers was amazed that I knew what an "indirect object" was, and that the English sentence structure is set up in a "subject, verb, object" format, while Korean is in a "subject, object, verb" format.

That's says something about the other ESLers that she's worked with.

 
At April 03, 2005 10:36 a.m. , Blogger Jessica said...

I know! I've heard to much talk of the really bad reputation that English teachers in Korea have. It's really a shame.

I still don't know what I'm going to do. Maybe I'll have private adult lessons while I'm there or something to make this course pay off...

 
At April 04, 2005 8:22 a.m. , Blogger Blake said...

Extra long pinky finger nail?

Drugs, mixed with bi-sexual tendencies while playing the guitar.

 
At April 04, 2005 8:40 a.m. , Blogger Jessica said...

Maybe I'll have a pre-Korea romance with him. THat's hot.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home