Sunday, January 30, 2005

How it all began: Installment 4

Now we get to my parent's reaction to the idea. I held off telling them. Then I told them. They didn't like it. So I sent them the following email:

Hi Parents,
I know you're not thrilled about this South Korea, but maybe looking at this webpage will warm you up to the idea. Look at the testimonial section particularly, and read what people have to say about their experiences. There's lots of information, and this company seems very reputable.
http://www.footprintsrecruiting.com/index.php
Jess

My father promptly responded and basically said that I should look more into it. I wrote back with the following:

Thanks Dad, I appreciate you taking this seriously. I know what you and Mum are probably thinking, besides the safety concern; that this is a waste of time and is not related to my future career, etc. Well I know how typical it is for us to think that way in our society, that everything has to be part of the goal. We are so incredibly driven to work towards the future. But what about right now? I don't want to get dragged along from school to school to work. To retirement. I want to experience the world and to grow as a person; to have a good understanding of myself so that I can make informed decisions about how I want to spend my life. I am young now and will only be this way for a short time. I don't want to miss out on anything, and I don't think that one year is a very long time. I am incredibly excited about the prospect of not only living and working in an exceptionally foreign country, but travelling to the surrounding countries that I likely will not have another opportunity to visit. China, Japan, Thailand... So, try to put behind you the Western ideas that one must 'go, go, go', and that any time spent elsewhere is a waste. I think that if anything I will be ahead of the game by doing this. But I promise to do all the research I can to make sure that I end up at a place that is safe, honest, and everything else. Just wanted to let you know how I feel. Love, Jess

My father responded:

Jess:

I understand everything that you have said. I do understand how you feel. I hope you understand how I feel. You want to travel and explore, by all means take a month, travel, take two and travel. but keep your education going till you reach your final goal. You always have the time to travel and explore later. Do a bit each year. If you become an academic, you will have plenty of time available to travel the world.

You make it sound that I only believe in work, work work with no fun. You could not be further from the truth. For your information I have travelled to more places around the world than anyone else you know. I understand and appreciate your desires. I believe that you can easily accomplish both. I do know from my own experience that everyone reaches a wall whereby further schooling becomes intolerable. I don't want you to hit this wall before you have accomplished everything you want to. The travel and excitement can come after grad school.

Do you think you will be too old at this time? Is this the problem?

You need to really think this through very carefully. I do not support this adventure for you at this time. It may fine for Darcy but I very much believe its not the right thing for you to do at this time. I have some other thoughts to share with you when we are together in person.

Love always, Dad

And my mother's reaction:

Dear Jess,

I can see that Dad is very worried about your idea of going to S. Korea. He is very disappointed in your choice of locations and your extending your studies. He feels you have such good potential academically and that your potential will be diminished if you waste a year doing something which you really have shown no interest in doing and actually have expressed not enjoying teaching or children. Without teachers training and working with a new culture, you might actually find it very frustrating and difficult and he thinks that you will be disappointed in the living standards and find a year a very long period plus it could be very difficult and tiring work. I think he would rather see you spend your May to Aug travelling as a student would and then return to school. I think he would even prefer to help you out financially than see you put your studies behind schedule and perhaps find yourself stuck in an unhappy/dangerous situation.

I have spoken to two people about this type of work. One was a student who was working here and she was working in a school where the principal was sexually harassing the children. She reported it but they did nothing about it. She tried to get a new ticket to return and to quit the job and even had difficulty arranging this. Another person I know who I talked to recently said his friend's son went to Japan recently and is returning after three weeks as he is very unhappy there with the job and the conditions of the job. I do not know any further details.

Moving on to graduate school in a bigger city could be so exciting for you. You don't have to know exactly what you want to do initially. Your decision could evolve over time or you could go to a career counselling service to help you with your decision about where to go from here. In general, we both feel very concerned about your plans, we feel that you have such potential and although school may be a little boring now, graduate school will bring with it so many new people and experiences, location etc. If you want an adventure elsewhere apply to graduate school oversees or out west. If you are getting A's you will most likely get a scholarship. At least you will continue your journey in expanding your horizons and mingling with intellectual people who will inspire you.

You are ahead of schedule and should be proud of it. I wish I had all the good stuff going for me when I was your age. Don't take it for granted and lose your momentum. I hope you understand what we are feeling. We are so proudof you, we love you a bunch and we really worry about your safety. As you see travelling in dangerous areas can be very risky. You were very luckythat you did not face some of the tragedies which happen in Israel on a regular basis. I hope you understand.

Love Mom

I know this is a brutally long post but if you made it this far, I hope you found it interesting. It is a perfect example of this attitude that so many of us hold. What's 'wasting a year' supposed to mean? It's living a year! What do they mean, putting things on hold? This is making things happen. They want me to finish my education, meet a man, make babies... Egads. That will happen soon enough. For now I just want to live as me for a while. To go places and do things. Maybe I'm being overly naive and idealistic, but the way I see it, thinking in terms of wasting and using years is kind of insane. Unless you spend it sitting around in front of a television watching reality shows. It's an interesting topic, this. Discuss.



7 Comments:

At January 30, 2005 8:20 p.m. , Blogger larrykim said...

oh this is so exciting. i get to speak my mind on someone else's life. man, i got so excited i almost had to change my drawers. anyway, i think i see your point, and i also see your parent's point.

here is my thought, it is always going to be a risk if you want to do something different. i am sure there always are some horror stories. if i was your dad, i would be really worried about you being sexually harassed or something. but, then how often does that happen? you can't judge all based on one isolated incident. of course, the worry may be difficult to disregard...

i met a girl about an year ago. she spent two years in china teaching english. she loved it and really wanted to go back. she actually hated coming back home even though she missed her family.

after college, i joined the navy. my parents really hated that idea, but i did it anyways. i didn't really enjoy my naval career and i got out the first chance i got, but the fact is, i did it. i think that experience even though i didn't truly love it has enriched me in many levels. how boring life would be if each one of us knew from the time we were born, where we were going, and who we are going to be, and we never take the road less traveled. i think your parents have forgotten the adventurous spirit perhaps they once had. if you ask me life is not a success because you have so many degrees and so much money. i think one's life is success because one chose to live it fully. to leave footprints in hearts and minds of people around her... to leave this world a little better place, because you have been there... (oops, i think i stole this from someone) anyway, tell your parents that you need to go to korea to take some pictures for me (hahaha).

i think it will be fun, and i really think you should do it... but i definitely can see how your parents may be worried about you though... i think i would be worried a bit too...

 
At January 31, 2005 12:46 a.m. , Blogger Blake said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At June 04, 2005 9:03 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, that was really fascinating. After reading your first response to your parents, I couldn't believe the continued negative reactions you got.

Well, I can, because I've heard similar things from my own parents. But still, it's just really surprising to see people think this way.

I have to say that as someone graduating from grad school this fall that I cannot imagine taking a year off now. If I wanted to go live abroad for a year, I would have had to do it before I started grad school. The reason it's so bad to do it afterwards is because that's when you have the most momentum to get a job, and you don't want to throw that away.

It's so weird to me how people talk about how you don't want to get derailed from continuing on with school. I took four years off and then went back to school (for a Ph.D.) and I wouldn't trade that for the world. I really hate seeing people go directly to grad school from college when that's not what they really wanted to do yet. Those are the people who tend to drop out, and I don't blame them.

Anyway, I know this is an old post. I just had to respond because your parents' response was so strong and so typical. I'm proud of you for sticking with this and making it a reality for yourself. That kind of determination and preparation will definitely go a long way when you're abroad!

 
At June 04, 2005 9:21 p.m. , Blogger Jessica said...

Thanks a lot, seadragon. That really means a lot to me. I found their emails incredibly interesting (though mildly annoying) so I hoped others would too. My mother's is interesting on a secondary level too - did you notice how her arguments are all referring to what my father thinks? Hmmm.

Thanks again.

 
At June 06, 2005 1:27 a.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually, I did notice that and found that equally fascinating. It sort of reminded me of my own mother, often describing my father's feelings about something because she's not sure of her own. Of course, I don't have any idea if that was your mother's motivation there. Just it was an interesting similarity. (It's also interesting to me that this whole exchange was over e-mail rather than phone, which is another similarity to how my family tends to deal with stuff like this.)

 
At January 12, 2006 5:30 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,

Just reading through your archives (a bit late I know) and thought I would comment from a 28 year old's perspective.

In contrast to your situation, I'm someone who has completed their BA, MA, is part-way through another degree in Law and has worked fulltime for 6 years before making the decision to teach in Korea. Yet, I'm facing just as many barriers ...I have a secure job- why would I want to leave that?.. I should be thinking about kids before the clock starts ticking, the list goes on.

So, is there really an 'ideal' time to go in the eyes of those who think travelling down the traditional life-course is essential for fulfilment? The only time to go is the time it feels right for you- the time you need to explore, get out of your mundane job before you stagnate (if you haven't already), and just have fun!

Good luck

Mel

 
At January 12, 2006 6:06 p.m. , Blogger Jessica said...

Hi Mel,

You're right, there is no ideal time really. I think I'm somewhere caught between tradition and vagabond, or whatever you want to call it, unsure of how to proceed. You know? I don't knock what tradition has to offer but I guess I want more than just that. So juggling the two I think needs real consideration, at least until I grow a little wiser, ditch tradition, and live the rest of my life wandering the planet and eating incredible things as I go...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home