Thursday, January 04, 2007

Ouch!

It's a quarter to seven in the morning. I'm on holiday. Why am I awake? Because my throat is a fiery pit of pain! Ahh! I've been in the process of running away from a cold all week but I think it's finally got me.

Did I finish the paper as planned yesterday? Of course not. I worked off and on all day long until about 4:00 when I decided to hell with it and went to the gym, out for dinner and to see a movie. I came home at ten and finished the introduction. Now I have only have one and a quarter pages left to fill with some sort of conclusion. I think I'll do it now, as soon as this post is finished.

Why must sore throats be so very, very sore?

I went on a date recently with this fellow who talked constantly about movies and television shows. To each actor name or movie title I had to respond with something along the lines of, "I don't know him/I haven't seen it." I don't watch that. He would respond in a way that drives me batty, "you don't KNOW it?!?!" No, I don't, and I feel like my life is pretty full, thank you. Don't make it seem like my world is going to end because I haven't watched some bullshit TV show.

It reminds me of the time a sheltered friend in university pitied me for not having a Christmas tree or Santa growing up: "You mean you don't even have Santa?? Poooor youuu!!!" No, not poor me. There is happiness in life without Santa.

Anyway, twice it's happened on dates that I say something like "I don't know anything about popular culture these days" and then the guy says "so what do you know about?" I stare blankly at them for a moment and they then say "statistics and sociology?" and I nod and smile. But that's not even the truth because I don't know all that much about these things.

What do I know about? What are my interests? I spend all my time doing next to nothing on the internet. That should be an interest. I'm interested in boys. I can talk about that for a long time. Man, I need more substance in my life. I'm going to start belly dancing again. Now THAT will give me substance.

My throat is hurting slightly less. Perhaps those two extra strength advils are taking effect. I don't want to end this post because it will mean writing that conclusion.

2 Comments:

At January 05, 2007 2:14 a.m. , Blogger Tony Lawless said...

Why don't you say I have a blog and I write about all kinds of things on it? Why most some men think that because you are not interested in what they are interested in, you can't have any interests? Also, why must this guy think that TV shows means having interests? To me, it sounds like not having much of a life. Great marriage potential too -- sitting watching TV together to a ripe old age!

 
At January 05, 2007 5:24 a.m. , Blogger Jessica said...

Maybe they think that because I don't actually have some 'thing' that is my interest. I suppose blogging and internet are something.

I agree though - TV watching is lame when it's your whole life.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home