Sunday, September 03, 2006

Okay, Okay

Don't you hate the lame-o bloggers who announce they're going to quit and then don't?

Due to the wonderfully flattering response of the last post I've decided to cut y'all a deal. I'm not going to be able to write daily posts about fending off intellectual snobs at school, dating tall English speaking men, and eating sushi in the city. But I can write monthly ones.

I decided this for three main reasons that you are dying to know: 1) It's nice to have records like these 2) I like writing 3) Someone said they'll die without it and if that's not a pat on the back what is?

Oh, and 4) I'm still on my way.

Since I missed September 1st I'll give a brief synopsis of life of late:

I've moved! The suburbs had started to give me a tick about 1.3 weeks after I got home to Canada. For the last few days I have been moving myself or helping some other such friend move into a variety of imperfect houses/apartments in the student ghetto of Toronto. For those who don't know, it's a great area called the Annex which is full of restaurants and culture and multi-culture and good looking guys. Ahh, it's good to be in the city.

My place is really sweet too - a shared house with a 92 year old ex-horticulturist living on the main floor and me and my friend (not D'Arcy) living on the second floor and attic. It's big and bright. My room is the entire attic which allows a sitting/jamming area (fully eqipped with my beautiful new guitar, my harmonica, and my bongo drums) and a bedroom area. This is good. I have adorned the walls with framed artwork and things that I collected along the way this last year. I think it looks really great.

School orientation starts on Wednesday and I don't feel one way or the other about that, really. I am still suffering from what apparently has an official name: imposter's syndrome. Apparently every grad student faces it. I feel like I snuck in and hopefully I can keep up with the big cats who really belong there. I will be doing an MA in Sociology focusing on immigration with a heavy leaning on quantitative research. So much for demography. U of T's website lied when they say they have a specialty in it. They don't even offer one demography course at the graduate level. Luckily I don't actually care. The program will take one year after which I will maybe do a PhD because there's no way I'm getting my bed through the attic doorway again. Might as well stick it out.

Future travel plans are also on the horizon. I'm thinking of heading to LA over Christmas to visit my aunt and she says my suggestion to drive to San Fran from there is a good one. D'Arcy and I have agreed to head to South America next summer for a couple of months. Eventually I want to take the train across Canada from East to West. So that's that.

It's still so great to be home. I haven't felt like I've had so many friends in such a long time. I guess coming back from relatively socially isolating Korea left me much more appreciative of the people in my life. My brothers are really cool. I've got a cell phone that I answer instead of just screen. I haven't been bored at all with nothing particular to do for the past two and a half weeks. Ahhh.

Right, so I'm a lame-o blogger for saying I'm done and then coming back. But hear this: I will not be back until the first of October so you don't have to check back 'till then unless the archives tickle your fancy.

Until then.

6 Comments:

At September 03, 2006 5:21 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome back. Some photos would be nice!

 
At September 04, 2006 2:20 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yayyyyyyyyyyy.....LOL
And yes I agree with Mr or Ms Anonymous up there ^^^
Photos of the new digs would be nice!
Glad you decided to join the ranks of the "Lame-O's"
See ya in October... the 2nd would be good as that is my birthday lmao.

 
At September 05, 2006 7:53 a.m. , Blogger Shells Bells said...

Look forward to reading about your Uni life and romps in TO! :)

 
At September 07, 2006 9:29 p.m. , Blogger larrykim said...

i was just curious how you have been doing, so i dropped by. glad you made it back... i hope you didn't burn your "i party with larry"shirt. it is sure to be a collectors item of high value.

 
At September 13, 2006 8:36 a.m. , Blogger Waddell said...

Hey!

I've been checking your blog ever since the planning stage of Korea, and I've now been here 6 months. It's been consistently entertaining, good work!

I travelled across Canada by Greyhound (not as bad as you'd think, very cheap!) for 5 months last summer, and my advice to you is not to pick destinations due to them having "cool" names. Thunder Bay and Medicine Hat will never have a warm place in my heart! Not sure if the 2 day bus ride to Whitehorse was entirely worth it either! Glads to see you'll continue blogging, enjoy uni! Chris

 
At November 06, 2006 1:30 a.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay yeah, I am a reader on your blog from time to time.. I am a fan of your quick wit and I'm not trying to stalk you, I promise. In fact I like to write myself and you give me ideas.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home