Thursday, August 31, 2006

Korean in Toronto and the end of the blog

Yesterday I took a few friends to a Korean restaurant for lunch.

"Annyonghi shipsheyo!!"

I really wanted to get galbi but it was so expensive I couldn't believe it. In Suji we paid 8,000 won I liked to think of as about 8 dollars and in Toronto the same thing would cost TWENTY. Forget that.

Instead three of us chose to have bulgogi and one chose to have dolsot bibimbap. I ordered in Korean and wowed the waitress who turned out to be from Bundang. My neighbour!

My friends were all duly impressed until the bill came and it turned out I ordered the more expensive bulgogi by mistake. Oops. Fifteen bucks for some bulgogi? What a lip off. Oh well, they gave us some service-uh mandu and the side dishes were well enjoyed and just like 'home' so I was forgiven.

I am moving today (and Saturday) to an apartment downtown in preparation for school which starts on the 11th. I think I'll buy some yo's for overnight guests to sleep on.

People ask me if I miss Korea. I say no, I do not exactly miss it. I'm very happy to be home in Canada where things are nice and easy and logical. Where salespeople speak English and so do health professionals and bankers. I Love my shower that's behind a curtain and subsequently my dry bathroom floor, and it's still taking some time to get used to not having to ask whether a public bathroom is disgusting before using it. They are heated, smell fresh, and usually have both toilet paper AND hand towels. It's like a dream.

I do still think very fondly of Korea and Koreans, am so happy that I had the opportunity to go there and do the things that I did, meet the people that I met and have the experience that I experienced. And this is where the blog ends.

Thanks to all my readers and commenters for making my blog experience an extra-positive one. Particularly those like Blake, Margie, Rob, Kiran, Shelly, and Seadragon (as well as a few others I'm missing I'm sure) who created the bulk of my comments when they didn't/don't even know me.

I guess having this blog was not only a way of keeping my friends and family up to date on my abroad life but also to keep me sane. Living in the 'burbs of Korea with not much social stimulation, my blog was like a friend to come home to. My friend here at home told me she's sad I'm not continuing because she feels like she's losing a friend. But I'm here in the flesh! Maybe she prefers me in written form. Ooh hoo hoo.

So long, folks. It's been a slice!

9 Comments:

At August 31, 2006 10:13 a.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to say thank you for giving us this look at your life in Korea and your travels afterwards. I can't tell you how much I enjoyed it! You're a great writer and you really communicated your year so well, it was just such a pleasure to read.

Good luck in graduate school, welcome home (if I can welcome you to Canada while sitting here in the US), and all the best!

 
At August 31, 2006 12:28 p.m. , Blogger Kiran said...

what...you can't quit, i'm looking forward to quirky articles about life in the t.o.

 
At September 01, 2006 8:10 a.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck!

 
At September 01, 2006 11:06 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

please don't end this blog.
you quitting this blog will send me into depression :(

 
At September 01, 2006 11:41 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've sure enjoyed the journey Jessica... and while my life got in the way (the colossal NOIVE I tell you!!!) of my regular comments.. I never missed a single entry!!
Almost felt like I was there in some strange way...so THANKS for the hospitality and the very best of luck in all that you do from this point forward!!
Big Cyber-Huggzzzzzzzzz :)
Margie

 
At September 02, 2006 1:30 a.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, that's a rip off for bulgogi and galbi in Canada. They're around $7.50 (us $) just south of the border from Vancouver, Canada.

Anyways, good luck in future endeavour, and hopefully your experience in Korean will make you a better person to anyone who come across you.

polycarp

 
At September 02, 2006 2:15 a.m. , Blogger Tony Lawless said...

I too will miss this blog, my favourite Korean-based blog by far. I wonder if Jessica can be tempted into doing a Graduate Student Blog?

 
At September 02, 2006 9:26 p.m. , Blogger Kiran said...

what about just a jessica blog?

--btw thanks for the props

 
At September 03, 2006 8:33 a.m. , Blogger Blake said...

Good luck as you go back to studying. I hope the best for you.

I'll try to hold things up in Japan, and maybe I'll get back to Korea a few times here and there.

Cheers and God bless

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home