Tuesday, April 12, 2005

A prelude to office christmas parties

Last week it hit me. It sucks to hang out socially with people you’re not friends with. What am I talking about? I've known that all along. But hear me out.

I had planned that “Sociology Goodbye Party” and wanted to leave as soon as everyone got there and we said hello. I had drinks with my fellow TAs and the prof we worked for and I was internally counting the minutes until I could get out of there. I’m sure other people must feel the same way.

It’s awkward, there’s nothing to talk about, and everyone would rather be somewhere else.

Today I have to go for a “Statistics Class goodbye lunch” which wouldn’t be so bad if it was just for the students. But the professor is coming too and around him everyone turns into sweaty palmed teenagers at a high school dance. I would have thought that at the PhD level these people would be on fairly comfortable terms with the professor, but he obviously makes them shudder with fear. It’s kind of funny to watch, actually, since I’m not in their position and therefore don’t have to care. Though I am counting on him for a reference letter. Was. I do enjoy the company of my classmates, actually, but I don’t like contrived social gatherings that would never naturally occur.

Guess I’ll just have to buck up and take it since they’re bound to occur for the rest of my life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home