Wednesday, January 26, 2005

How it all began: Installment two

[EDIT: Footprints ended up doing a very poor job. Read posts later in June to find out more.]

So after making the decision and telling D'Arcy that I'd join her, we started the hunt for a reputable recruiter through which to land a job. I think I must have typed "teach English in Korea" into Google and came quickly upon a company called Footprints Recruiting (http://www.footprintsrecruiting.com). Their website looked pretty professional to me, and they are based in Canada so I thought they seemed good.

I know, I know. I've heard all the horror stories about terrible recruiters who are unreliable and who set you up with terrible schools. Just because I know doesn't mean I did anything about it. Just kidding, I did look into Footprints somewhat... tried to find them on the Better Business Bureau of Vancouver, searched for them on Dave's ESL cafe, read their testimonials. Everything checked out pretty well as far as reputable and recruiter in the same sentence possibly can.

I filled out a quick online application and within a day or two I got a response from one of their representatives named Kara. She basically let me know everything that I would need to send to them to get the ball rolling: three letters of reference, a cover letter and resume, and a lesson plan. Not too difficult. I got the letters of reference (from two professors and an ex-employer) and updated my resume. The reference letters were sent via e-mail directly by my referees so when Kara received them she emailed me to let me know and to set up a telephone interview. I found that funny because I hadn't even sent in my resume, cover letter, or lesson plan yet.

I sent in the cover letter and resume and never ended up doing a lesson plan.

The phone interview went without a hitch. Kara was extremely friendly and easy to talk to. Her questions were very straight forward: Why do you want to do this, what about a professor that you have had made you like them, what qualitites do you possess that make you a good teacher, what travelling experience do you have, would you feel like you are bringing your culture to them or vice versa, etc. In truth, most of the half an hour interview was me asking her questions about various things. At the end of the conversation she told me that I have been approved as a Footprints teacher. Alright! Really, I think they accept anyone who speaks without an accent and who holds a degree, but who's asking.

Since the interview, which I guess took place in December, I have been in contact with Ben Glickman a little bit. He will be the one who finds D'Arcy (who was also approved) and me teaching positions. He asked some questions and will be in touch closer to our departure date (which is in June sometime after graduation).

The only other contact I have had with them up until this point is this week, when I emailed to get some recommendations for a good quality TESL course that I may take in May. They responded very quickly with a substantial list of Toronto area programs. So far I'm very happy with Footprints Recruiting. If anyone knows anything more about them, or if you have had some experience with them, let me know.

So that is the story of how I found a recruiter. Next on the list: Why Korea???

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home