Monday, January 24, 2005

How it all began - Installment one

Instead of writing the essay that is due tomorrow I think I will update all my dedicated readers (mom...) on the process that got me to where I am today in terms of deciding to go to Korea.

My intention for the last few years has been to finish my undergraduate degree in sociology and proceed to a graduate program, perhaps in demography or something a little more practical than, say, sociology of the family. Then I backpacked around Israel this summer and learned a few things. Maybe they're cliche things, but I think they're important. I want to see the world. I don't want to be sucked through a vacuum of school then school then work then retirement. I want to seize opportunities and adventure before settling down. That's a bit of the background info.

At some point my friend D'Arcy said casually, "hey Jess, wanna go teach English is Asia after we graduate?"

At the time I thought that I couldn't break away from the academic stream so I smiled and said something along the lines of "wouldn't that be nice."

Then one chilly October evening over coffee, another friend Jordana wondered what kind of summer job she would get because she wanted to do something memorable. I realized that this summer is the beginning of reality. May through August are no longer a four month taste of the drudgery of the working world where I pranced through an office place, pitied the poor souls stuck there indefinitely, and felt close to tears every Sunday night. This May is when life really began.

I tossed and turned that night in bed, considering my options. By morning I had decided to go to Korea.

Tune in next time for installment 2: Finding a recruiter (I know, you just can't wait)

1 Comments:

At January 25, 2005 1:02 a.m. , Blogger Jessica said...

Hooray for comments! Wend, Rick is in awe of your amazing navigation through blogger. Check out his cool, new blog. Ha ha ha.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home