Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Two months left!

Now that school is finished (!) I will be turning my attention towards other things. The first is learning Korean. Yep. I think it might be worthwhile to learn some of the language before I move there to avoid being an illiterate. Though I’m sure it would be an interesting social psychological investigation of the experiences of those unable to communicate in the language of the majority. I’d rather avoid the stress of being unable to order food or ask for directions to the bathroom. I have a Teach Yourself book and double CD that I intend to start working on during my bus and subway commute to and from my TESL course that begins tomorrow!

Which leads me to the second new attention-consuming adventure: my TESL course that begins tomorrow! I have no idea what to expect. Will it be fun and easy? Will it be challenging and time-consuming? Will the other students in the class be cool and interesting or dumb and pathetic? Hopefully it will be easy, useful, fun, and filled with cool and interesting people including a cute boy with which I can have a quick summer fling (cross your fingers, guys).

Minor tangent: My mother thinks that I am a mild drunk with low-class morals because of the things she reads on my blog. I don’t know why she would think that. She wonders if I’m being honest here and says that I sound lonely and pathetic, and like I’m trying to project myself in false ways. I really try to be honest here, not that I frequently reveal innermost feelings, so I wonder where she gets these ideas from. Then again, I’m pretty sure she has only read about four posts over the last four months. Whatever, end of tangent.

My third and final mind-occupation is to find a digital camera. This is where I need your input, people! I want the following: 4.0 megapixels (give or take a megapixel), 3X optical zoom at least, a movie feature, and good memory card capability and power source. I want it to be small and not too expensive (below $500 CAD). I used my brother’s Canon Powershot Elph something this weekend and liked the style a lot, so I’m leaning in that direction, but if anyone has a particular suggestion that I can consider, please send it my way.

That is all for now. I’m excited about my class tomorrow and my bike ride to the bus stop in the morning should be thrilling. I’m estimating a 25 minute bike ride, a 13 minute bus ride, and a 30 minute subway ride. That’s some prime Korean learning time! Or people watching. Or ipod listening. Or sleeping…

7 Comments:

At April 20, 2005 9:27 p.m. , Blogger Blake said...

Megapixels don't really matter too much I don't think. It's just a marketing scam. ;) My camera that I have (or had, I guess) is only 2 megapixels, and it's been more than enough for the net and for printing regular photos at Wal-Mart. In fact, I usually have the camera on the 1 mega setting and it's fine.

Optical zoom is nice though.

I've never cared about video.

 
At April 21, 2005 6:17 a.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey, my mom uses the canon powershot SD300. It's selling at Henry's for $449...check out their website. It's 4.0 pixels, although Blake's right that mega pixels don't really matter unless you plan on blowing your pictures up larger than 5x7. It has a good optical zoom. It also can take longer video (with sound) than my camera can, which is nice.

 
At April 21, 2005 2:43 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just came across this deal via www.benbargains.net. It's the Canon Powershot s410 for $225US with free shipping. Might be worth checking out.

 
At April 21, 2005 7:55 p.m. , Blogger Jessica said...

Blake: One morning in Jerusalem we were woken by muezzins, church bells and a rooster. Suddenly I realized the benefit of movie recording capability.

Carina: The sd300 is actually the one we're looking at. Has your mom had any problems with it?

Seadragon: Thanks for the heads up. I'll look into it for sure! And welcome. :)

 
At April 21, 2005 11:40 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, I guess that was weird, and I should have said hi first. :) I think I thought I had! I came across your blog via Out in the World recently. (I think you'd made a comment there and I followed through to you here!)

I'm really interested to read all about your travel and living in Korea. I've been there once, but only for about a week. So I'm curious to know more about it, and what it's like to actually move there and live there!

 
At April 22, 2005 8:36 a.m. , Blogger Jessica said...

I remember you from Out in the World. Bukowski! :)

I look forward to writing about my experience in Korea so it's perfect! Feel free to comment anytime.

 
At April 22, 2005 10:39 a.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the canon sd300 is great. My only issue with it was that the memory card it uses doesn't allow you to drag pictures from your computer onto the memory card. I found that annoying because if I clear the memory, but have pictures saved on my computer, I can't put the pictures back on the camera. other than that, I think the camera's a great choice.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home